We recommend serving this soup with Iron Hub 2013 Sangiovese.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ½ lbs. of beef stew meat, cut up into bite size pieces
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 large onion, fine chopped
4 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups diced potatoes
½ cup barley
2 14.5 ounce cans of beef broth
1 cup of Iron Hub Zinfandel
2 bay leaves
Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste.
Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the beef cubes and cook until browned on all sides, stirring frequently. Remove the meat and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil, and stir in the carrots, celery, garlic and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent and the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the water, broth, bay leaves, potatoes, and barley; bring to a simmer. Simmer, covered, until the beef is tender and the barley and potatoes are fully cooked, about 2 hours.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- News (19)
- Article: The 8 Best Amador County Wineries To Visit
- San Francisco Chronicle Article: Why Amador County is a wine lover’s paradise
- Folsom Lake Entertainer Article: A Gem in Historic Gold Country
- Ledger Dispatch Article: Iron Hub Winery Opens New Tasting Room
- Mountain Democrat Article: Iron Hub Winery opens new tasting room