Lamb Shanks Braised in Red Wine phir with Iron Hub Syrah
4 lamb shanks
1 cup Iron Hub Syrah
2 TBS olive oil
2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp. minced fresh sage
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
1 28 oz can plum tomatoes,
cored and crushed with juices
Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add lamb shanks and brown on all sides, about 12 minutes total. Remove lamb shanks from pan.
Reduce heat to low. Add onion and garlic to pan and sauté until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the wine, turn heat up to medium and stir to release any browned bits. Add tomatoes and their juices and the fresh herbs. Season generously with salt and pepper. Return lamb to pan. Cover pan and simmer until lamb is very tender, turning shanks occasionally, about 2 hours. Add more liquid (water or beef broth) if it seems too dry.
Remove lamb shanks from pan and cover to keep warm. If braising liquid seems too thin, boil until it is reduced to a sauce consistency. Serve lamb shanks with sauce, accompanied by polenta or mashed potatoes and Iron Hub Syrah.
This recipe was developed by Katie Quinn.
- News (19)
- Article: The 8 Best Amador County Wineries To Visit
- San Francisco Chronicle Article: Why Amador County is a wine lover’s paradise
- Folsom Lake Entertainer Article: A Gem in Historic Gold Country
- Ledger Dispatch Article: Iron Hub Winery Opens New Tasting Room
- Mountain Democrat Article: Iron Hub Winery opens new tasting room