Salt and Pepper Ribeye Steak
Perfect pairing for Iron Hub Winery’s 2013 Estate Syrah. Salting the ribeye steak two days prior to cooking brines the steak, helps tenderize it, and adds rich flavor.
6 (8 ounce) ribeye steaks
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or as needed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Two days before cooking, salt both sides of each steak with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt per steak. Place steaks in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to cooking. Sprinkle both sides of steak with black pepper.
- Heat cast iron pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Add vegetable oil and heat until oil shimmers.
- Carefully place steaks in pan. Cook until brown and hard-seared on one side, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn steaks and top with one teaspoon butter. Cook for 3 to 4 more minutes or to desired doneness. You may need to cook the steaks in batches depending on the size of your cast iron pan. Keep the cooked steaks in a 170 degree F oven until ready to serve.
- News (7)