- 4 ½ pounds chicken breasts, thighs, and legs (cut up)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups Iron Hub Zinfandel
- 2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 10 ounces peeled pearl onions
- ½ cup pitted, sliced Spanish green olives tablespoon cornstarch mixed with
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and pepper
GARNISH: chopped parsley
Pat chicken dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons flour and sprinkle mixture on chicken on all sides.
In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt butter. Add pancetta and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes. Add chicken pieces skin side down and brown for about 5 minutes per side in batches. Remove with tongs and place on paper towels to dry.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon flour to the stockpot and brown for 1 to 2 minutes. Add chopped onions, mushrooms, garlic, and herbs and sauté for 5 minutes. Add wine, tomatoes, tomato paste and stock along with chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add pearl onions and green olives and continue cooking for 10 minutes more.
Remove chicken from pot to a large bowl and cover with aluminum foil. Keep warm.
Add cornstarch mixture to cooking liquid and mix in mustard. Raise heat and boil rapidly for 6 to 7 minutes so that the liquid reduces and thickens. Season to taste.
To serve place chicken on plates or in large soup bowls and top liberally with sauce. Garnish with parsley. Serve with rice or pasta and crusty garlic bread.
Serve with Iron Hub Zinfandel.
- News (27)